1cupcashews(soaked overnight, or at least 4 hours, and drained)*
1/4 tsppink salt
1/3 cupolive oil(or more, depending on the consistency you want)
1-2 cupsbaby spinachor mesclun greens (optional)
Rate this recipe!
For the Pasta:
Bring water to a boil, then add in brown rice pasta. Cook for 8-9 minutes.
2. About 4-5 minutes before the pasta is done cooking, add in the frozen peas to cook at the same time. Then, drain pasta and peas and put in a bowl.
For the Pesto
1. Put garlic in Vitamix, blender, or food processor and pulse until chopped.
2. Next add basil, and pulse again until it is broken down into small pieces.
3. Add cashews and salt, and process on low (1-2 on a Vitamix) so that the cashews are broken into tiny pieces, but still maintain a little texture. If using cashews that haven't been soaked, you may want to process on a higher level to get a creamier consistency.
4. Finally, with the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil until completely combined.
5. Spoon the pesto over the pasta and peas, and mix well before serving. Add salt and pepper as needed to taste.
1. *Soaking cashews bring out the creamiest of textures. Simply put them in a bowl, cover with water, place a cover on the bowl, and let sit on the counter overnight or for at least 4 hours. (If you let them sit longer than overnight, refrigerate). When ready to use, simply drain.
2. If you forget to soak them, you can still make the pesto, but note that it won't be as creamy.